View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Question about legit vs illegitimate businesses

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If an illegitimate government can last that long, why can't an illegitimate private company last that long?

[/ QUOTE ]
They can and they do, especially where governments are weak or non existent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Last time I checked governments are by definition the anti-thesis of "weak or non-existent" in all black markets and they just happen to be the areas where both illegitimate businesses and violence thrive.

Wierd how that works, isn't it?
[ QUOTE ]
This is another in a long list of AC silliness. If the core business of illegitimate businesses is run as any other business, but they use threats, intimidation, collusion, kidnappings, and so on in order to get what they want, get favorable deals, gain monopoly in an area, and so on, then there's no reason they can't prosper. This is how the mafia works today, and it's very successful at it, but of course kept in control by the government.

[/ QUOTE ]
Explain to me why it was only during prohibition that the mob dominated the alcohol market then. I guess I'm just silly for knowing how to put two and two together.
[ QUOTE ]
I am curious as to how ACers think an ethical company is more profitable than an unethical one, especially in a world where suppliers are often anonymous to the end purchaser (hence, no arguments from reputation).

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, outiside of rare cases this isn't realistic. Reputation and competition is the whole point of why a market works.

I am curious as to how you think an elected government official will see it in his best interests to act ethically rather then unethically.