View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Ask Noah About First Year of Law School, Getting inTop 10%, Law Re

[ QUOTE ]
How many schools did you apply to? Care to share where you are currently going and which schools you passed up (understandable if you'd rather not)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've talked about it before a bit.

I go to a school ranked 20-30 by US News and World Reports.

I had a 3.5 undergrad at a decent school and 172. Good extracurriculars and recommendations.

I got into a couple T14 schools including Georgetown and Columbia. I turned them down which probably makes me a retard in the eyes of most people. Common sense says go to the highest ranked school you get in to.

Temple with $$$$$$
Notre Dame with $$$$
William and Mary with $$$$
Duke.
BC with $$$.
BU with $$$.
Fordham with $$.
Etc.

Waitlisted at Harvard/NYU/Chicago.

Rejected by Yale/Stanford/Northwestern (NW asks if you want interview, I said no since I only applied there because i got a fee waiver).

When it comes to making a decision, for most people if you get in T14, take it. If dealing with lower level schools, go to the best school in the city where you want to practice. Factor in money as appropriate.

I decided to take the $100k less in loans and skip Columbia/G-town because I knew I likely wanted to be here, I don't have any hopes of being at some super-elite firm or academia, and I knew that I would be able to get top of the class and be competitive for law review, bigfirm jobs, etc. In addition, I live with my girlfriend, my family lives in the city, and I love it here. Including cost of living, expenses, and interest, I probably will end of having saved myself $150k by going to school here.