View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: wine importers you trust

i think clark may have started a thread in here a while back, but many of those wines are hard to get.

Unfortunetly when these types of threads crop up, you will consistently see Kendall Jackson get rec'd or some other over oaked POS wine that happens to cost $12.

Really for recs, what you need to do is experiment within your price point as certain recs won't really work if you need to limit your budget to under 15.

For me, I have a hard time giving recs to people if they aren't willing to generally spend between 20-50 a bottle as I don't drink that much that is under 20 and my pallate is much more old world then many other peoples. This is something that people in general don't take into account.

now, with that said, if you give me your tastes, I can hopefully lead you in the right direction as long as you are willing to be open to a bunch of stuff and don't say, well, I will only drink reds, or I will only drink whites, etc.

For someone that is just getting into wine, I usually give new world recs as those are more accessible to the new wine drinker then a super tuscan, bordeaux, or burgundy. But, you just have to be willing to try a whole bunch of wine and be willing to drink some stinkers.

It took me about two years of drinking wine before I started taking down full on notes and scoring wines as you have to know what a top class wine tastes like and what a bunch of different regions have to offer and what your tastes are