View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: ideal preflop ratio of value:air for reraising

I'm also curious as to how you guys randomize your preflop play. Do you use the second hand on your watch, select a certain suit/certain specific hands to be more aggressive with, or do you simply base it all on prior history and reads (playing solid after showing a bluff, making moves only on out of line LAGs, etc)?

I've toyed with the idea of using the sklansky UR and UC formulas to change my action with black pocket pairs for example. So if I were playing a 2/5 at the bellagio I'd typically raise with my aces utg but I'd limp if they were black. I'd likewise open for a raise with red 77.

Expanding even further on this, you could delve into randomizing your raise size to achieve an "ideal" average whereby you want to raise more on average with pocket pairs and less with speculative hands like AK so you vary your raise size according to what suits you get so that your raising range for aces would be limp, then 3x-6x + 1bb per limper) but would be more heavily weighted toward the 6x part of your range. AK would likewise have the same range, but more combinations would be near the 3xbb range. This would make it impossible for your opponents to say, oh he opened for 5xbb, he cant have AK, it has to be a pocket pair of some sort.

I know that none of this is new or maybe even interesting but I'm interested to see how important you guys think this is to a well balanced strategy and how you implement it, if at all.

Best,
Matt