View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Are Astronauts Heroes?

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, I wonder if ItalianFX's boss would mind if he knew that he plays poker extensively. It's kinda the same thing behind the NBA ref thing, but even more so because of his authoritah.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play it for income, more as a hobby, I guess. I doubt he would care as poker is not illegal? Correct? I don't see how it relates to the NBA ref thing as I don't have any authority to dictate the outcome of a poker game. Also, I don't gamble on the over/under of how many traffic stops I will make or how many arrests I will have.

As far as astronauts being heros, imo, I don't think so. Like one poster said, they are courageous. The definition that katy gave is kind of misleading because it would encompass alot of people who are courageous, but are more of a gambler/risk taker/stupid. To me, at least that is my opinion. Also, a hero to me is someone who goes above and beyond the expected duty of one person. A soldier who jumps on a grenade to save other soldiers is a hero. A person who runs into a burning building and rescues anybody is a hero. However, a soldier in Iraq who goes there for 12 months and then comes home is not a hero. Remember, that is my opinion. I was in Kosovo for 7 months, peacekeeping, which gave me veteran status, but I don't consider myself a hero. I am a police officer - I always try to do the right thing - but I don't consider myself a hero.

A guy I work with was commended in another county for running into a burning house to save a lady, he is probably a hero to her. To me, he's just a partner I work with.

So all-in-all, what I am getting at is that who can be labeled as a Hero is all in the eyes of the beholder.