View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Table/Seat Selection Examples to Grunch

Okay, I'm going to give this a shot. I obviously have read some of the responses in the thread already, but I purposely skipped over any which tried to answer the initial question. So it still qualifies as a grunch. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Example 1a
<u>Table Quality</u>

Table Texas Ranger is a good table; on a scale of 1-10 (10 being fishiest), I'd give it a solid 6.5. There are two obvious donors seated, seats 1 &amp; 6. Seat 1 is running short on chips, but seat 6 has plenty of cash left to lose (which probably means that he's running hot, &amp; therefore apt to play even looser than usual). Seat 6 also looks mad aggressive both pre &amp; postflop, although if he is running hot then our sample size is small enough that we can't rely on that read. Seats 2, 4, &amp; 9 also look very exploitable, although over small samples. Of the "known" players at the table, Seat 5 is the only one that I'd worry about--the rest are either too tight, too passive, or both. We should be able to get a pretty good general read on Seat 7 quickly, if seat 6 is as LAG as he appears. The lobby stats don't look quite as good as the individual numbers &amp; there's only 1 person in the waiting list, which are both pluses; if seat 1 wasn't so short I'd give this table a higher score.

Table Buffalo looks like a very good game. Seat 8 is going to be the major donor, and looks like your standard loose/passive payoff station. Seat 3 is both way loose &amp; way aggressive, but short-stacked. Seat 7 looks pretty LAG over the sample size so far, and combined with having a calling station directly behind him should make for some big pots. Seats 1 &amp; 2 also look loose &amp; exploitable, though over small sample sizes (seat 8's sample size is also small, but loose/passives show up very quickly stats-wise). The one downside, besides seat 3 being short, is that there are 4 potentially dangerous players already seated: seats 4, 5, 6, and 9. Overall I'd give this table a 7.5.

Table Azure looks the best in the lobby, but looks like it's about played out based on individual numbers. Seats 2 &amp; 8 still look like donors, but the rest of the table has filled with TAGs (and one decent-looking sLAG in seat 3). The waiting list also has 2 players in it, and the odds are very good that the first two seats to open up with be the donors. I'd go ahead &amp; waitlist this one as well, but expect to pass when a seat opens up--I'd give it a 5 overall.

<u>Individual seats</u>
At table Azure, seats 3 &amp; 9 would both be workable, assuming the donors stay put. If I had to, I could make do with seat 1 as well. I don't particularly like seats 4-7, as the sLAG in seat 3 is likely to be isolating frequently on the loosey in seat 2. If I could teleport myself directly into the game in any seat I choose, it would be seat 3 (for obvious reasons). Again, though, I'm not all that enamored with this table in general, so I'd only give seat 3 a rating of 7.

On Table Buffalo, I'd be willing to take any seat there. Ideally, I would love to have seat 9--this gives me ideal position on the loosest player at the table, and should also allow me to iso-3bet behind seat 7's loose raises (and seat 8's coldcalls). Seat 4 would give me the best position on all the loose players at the table, but seat 3 is likely to bust out soon. Some people might give seat 4 a higher rating because you have tight players on your left, but as loose as this table is you aren't going to see that many blind stealing opportunities anyway, and I can handle myself in steal situations against loose or semi-loose players anyhow. If I can't have seat 9, I'd settle for 1 or even 2 (although I'd like the player in 2 to stay put for a while). I would give seat 9 a very solid 9 rating, with seat 1 about an 8 &amp; seat 2 7.5. But any seat on this table is scoring at least a 6, except maybe seat 7.

Table Texas Ranger (I did these backwards to force myself to rethink each one), I would most like to grab seat 8. This is because seat 7 is an unknown (and most unknowns aren't that good), seat 6 is the major donor, and seat 5 appears to be the most dangerous player at the table...I want position on 5 &amp; 6 for sure. I'm not too worried about seat 1 because, again, he's probably busting soon. I'd gladly "settle" for seat 7 as well, because I still get position on those two and on the off chance that it's folded to me in the SB, seat 8 will probably give his big blind away (you really need to add "Fold BB to steal" to your HUD stats). I absotively do not want seat 4, and seat 3 don't look too hot either. Any other seat at the table I could deal with (though if seat 6 leaves then the table looks much, much worse). I'd give seat 8 an 8.5, with seat 7 right behind as an 8.

<u>Overall</u>
Should be pretty easy to figure out by reading the paragraphs above. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd most like to find myself in Seat 9 on Buffalo, then seat 8 on Texas Ranger, then either seat 7 on TR or seat 1 on B. I would avoid seat 4 on TR like the plague, and likely ditch that table all together if seat 6 leaves. I don't much want a seat on Azure, either, but as long as only TAGs leave I could deal with seat 3 or 9 there.