Thread: Stiffing
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At my college graduation dinner, I went upstairs to the bar with my cousins to get a drink. We ordered about three beers each and at the end of the third, the bartender said, "hey do you guys plan on leaving a tip... I have to make a living you know." (I guess he was expecting me to tip him after each drink I had ordered) I told him "not anymore" and went back downstairs

After spending over a grand downstairs, I was slmost tempted to ask for the manager of the restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to clarify, are you saying you were planning on tipping at the end but then didn't because he asked? is there a reason you weren't tipping for each drink? was it on a tab or were you paying cash for each round?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe he was paying cash but what is he supposed to do, after every drink is poured lay down a dollar bill? why not just wait until all six beers are served and then tip? i assume he was waiting at the bar for the 6 to be poured or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the case. I was only planning on having one, so when I got a 2nd and third I just paid in cash. I was going to leave a generous tip, but who says this? Also, the service was horrible in general was we had to get the bartender's attention every time we wanted a drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

When paying each time its pretty common to tip per drink. Its clear that you weren't trying to stiff the bartender here, but many will assume that you're a huge cheapskate here and really not pay too much attention to you because you aren't helping them out.

I think the bartender's comment is out of line, but its pretty common for service to go down if it doesn't seem that a tip will be given.