View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Home game rules - slight rant

Warning: The following post may contain sarcasm and irony.

Are most home game players not aware that there are poker rule books? Do most home games just operate by the seat of their pants and resolve problems only as they arise rather than trying to anticipate possible problems or actually learning the rules or having a rule book handy?

As I read the different posts about situations and what to do there is almost always a response where someone asks if you have a house rule concerning the issue. Sombody usually also suggests the poster establish a house rule. I have yet to see a situation (I'm sure they probably exist) that is not already covered by current rules. So, the only reason a house rule is needed is because it is different than the current, established rule. If there is no specific house rule then the established rule should apply. (I guess if your clueless about the established rules then your just winging it). I just don't understand why people ask if there is a house rule. If there was the poster wouldn't be posting as there wouldn't have been a problem. And there is no need to establish a house rule, unless one plans to deviate from the established rule.

How many other pursuits / activities do people participate in where they don't know the rules or make up their own? Does anyone have their own rules for driving...Sorry officer, but the speed limit doesn't apply to me because I have my own car rules. And just try to plead ignorance and see how far you get.

Maybe some other games or sports? Does anybody sit down to play any other card game or board game (besides Monopoly and possibly Risk) where they have no clue to the rules and / or make up their own? Tennis? Golf? Backgammon? Chess? Bridge?.....Rock climbing would be good. You can create your own rules concerning gravity. (Let me know where I can send the flowers.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

What makes poker different?

I'll conceed / agree that one doesn't need to follow the letter of the law in a friendly home game, but the rules still exist, and they should be enforced to some extent, with consistency and fairness in mind. A little knowledge is a wonderful thing.

I'll get off my soapbox now.