View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: The immigration issue (YouTube Republican debate)

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, Copernicus. But watching their answers makes it clear that the politicians don't have any gumption to address the "real issues" - rather, they propose policies that would address the rhetorical strategies that MAY APPEAL because real issues make them attractive.

I don't think, a border fence for example, is whatsoever a logical response to the economic incentives that attract illegal immigrants here. But it sure psychologically feels good as a proposal with "racist" underpinnings. It says "keep the brown people out!" far better than an appropriate guest-worker program. I'm sure alot of that outward talk stems from real economic uncertainty amongst working folks who are affected by immigrant competition. Just another feature of politics, and the human mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt watch the debate, so I don't know what issues were addressed (other than the embarassing RG/MR exchange at the beginning.

Of course a border fence isnt a "logical response to the economic incentives", it isnt a response to that at all. Its border control, plain and simple. You will never eliminate the economic incentives as long as South American governments destroy their economies and attempt to export their poverty to the US to avoid revolution and maintain power. That isnt going to change in our lifetimes, but border security is a necessary beginning to keep the economic erosion from worsening.