View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for writing this out. If not, I would have had to be the person pointing out how igorant that statement was.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, how ignorant to assume that people's actions are their own responsibility.

Seriously, wtf is going on in this thread. The stupid myspace parents are responsible for making a stupid choice that was intended to make the girl feel bad. It was retarded and cruel and immature. It led to that girl feeling severely depressed immediately after. But what she chose to do with that depression was completely her own doing and had nothing to do with the myspace family.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the problem is that this girl wasn't right chemically/emotionally and didn't have the same reasoning skills that a normal person does. First of all, she was 14 with obviously little life experience. People at that age, not to mention girls in particular, are very sensitive and take things far too seriously. Secondly, she had a history of mental problems including depression and had spoken of suicide. Also, I haven't seen it mentioned, but in the article it says that the last message said something to the effect of "the world would be better without you" (in fairness I think that that last statement wasn't made by the parents.)

I agree that in general we all have to be responsible for our own actions and decisions and not blame others but I think that philosophy only applies to those capable of making their own rational decisions. This girl clearly had some mental problems and was very impressionable. If someone who you know is mentally disturbed and incapable of making good/rational decisions is standing on a ledge and you tell them to jump, are you responsible when they do?