View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Bet sizing in multiway pot

I was thinking about this hand while making a food/beer run, and 45 minutes later, I still don't have any magic bet-size to offer. We just don't have enough information on what kind of draws are out there, and there's no way to get it. I have decided, however, that leaving ourselves with a trivial river bet to make (relative to the pot) is a good thing here, as you might get a crying call out of 97o or T8s or something. And it seems like the time we should really be looking to get the money in is right now, while people still have draws to chase. All the same, a push does kind of seem like overkill to me. I'm not confident about your getting called by, for instance, a mere flush draw or Tx for another $155, whereas those hands might very well call a pot-sized bet, and I'd imagine QT/Q9 are coming along for the ride as well. (I'm thinking those QT/Q9 hands might even call a push, though.)

Aside from pushing, I don't see any real way to deny odds to, say, Kh9h, if it happens to be out there. I mean, a $100 bet practically commits you even on a crap river card like the 5h, so you'd be giving some implied odds to make up for the lack of immediate odds.

So, anyway, I think I'd just go with the "default" decision to bet the pot. Or possibly I'd bet a little more, as in, say, the $100 I mentioned before -- we do have three chances at getting a bad call, which I think strengthens the case for an overbet.

And, to be honest, at the table I'd be so busy thinking about the multitude of river cards I didn't want to see that coming up with some brilliant all-purpose bet size for the hand would be beyond me.