View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Another Harrah\'s/Jack Effel Snafu

[ QUOTE ]
I played the $2000 Omaha HL event yesterday and there was another messy situation. Apparently a pot was wrongly awarded to Robert Williamson III. Supposedly his opponent openly tabled bottom set at showdown where Williamson held top two pair. Apparently Williamson, the dealer, and most of the table did not notice the pot was being awarded to the wrong player until after the cards were mucked by the dealer. After the pot was shoved bloody hell broke loose as one or more players mentioned that the pot was wrongly awarded to Williamson. The floor then stepped in and made a ruling that they were going "upstairs" to check the cameras. They came back sometime later and said that the shot was inconclusive and that the pot stood awarded to Williamson.

A couple hours later Williamson came to my table. Jack Effel came over and told Williamson that half of the pot (although there was no low) was awarded to his opponent. 1400 chips to be exact. The floor introduced these new chips into play! The purpose of this post is not to debate who should have been awarded the pot but rather to ask how this decision can possibly be right. How can tournament staff introduce chips into play? We started with 4000 chips. The buy in was $2000 make each chip's value 50c. How can the WSOP add more chips into the tournament without adding money to the prize pool? Aren't they taking money from everyone that bought into the tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

What was Effel's justification for adding more chips to the event? Did he issue any kind of statement?