View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Re: changed my mind about michael vick, slap on wrist only

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you're pretty close to making a point here but not quite. there is a significant difference between raising dogs in a healthy environment, then putting them through a painless procedure and euthanizing them, and putting them through a torturous upbringing after which they reach a violent and painful death.

maybe if the people in the program tortued the animals to become killing machines, then used the staples on them with no anesthesia, then slammed them into the ground until they died, your point would be stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, having recently read a fair amount about dogfighting, I'd make the counterargument--that between these two choices, dogfighting is more natural and less odious. Dogfighting at least involves training breeds to do what comes pretty naturally to them, unlike raising them to be medical staple-displays and then euthanizing them. And with dogfighting, the dog has a chance--if it keeps winning, it's pampered and eventually sold out to stud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also the dogs are bred for fighting i.e. aggressiveness is bred into the lines as it's a trait that's heritible.