View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Betting so you don\'t have to show down your hand

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone do this? I guess it's a question of how much "not showing your hand" is worth.

You have 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in BB.

1 limper fish, SB calls, you check.

Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

SB checks, you bet, fishy calls with any 2 cards that are pretty, SB folds.

Turn is J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. You bet, fish calls with any pair or any draw.

River is 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. You would normally check this and hope fish is on a draw, but you bet it because you don't want people to see what you're trying to steal with and you want to maintain your solid image so you can continue to steal more pots in the future.

Good bet or idiotic?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rationale indicates that you feel you can make much more money stealing that you can get by getting call downs with legitimate hands. If this is true, bet for the reasons you state.

I don't like the bet for your reasons. I only like the bet if you feel very strongly that you would get a call from ace high. This is normally a check.

You will show your hand. One money maker will suffer while the other will gain. You will slightly lose in your ability to steal but will increase the payoffs you get when you get a legitimate hand. The latter is an important gain from bluffing and is needed to compensate you for when your bluffs don't work. Only someone who bluffs way more than optimal should fear showing this hand.