View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Poll: best way to determine NCAA Div I Football National Champion?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Four team playoff. No more than that. The number 5 team has not ever (prior to this year) in the history of the BCS had a legitimate claim to the national title in my opinion. It *might* happen this year, but it still might not, and that would be a massive fluke. Let the top four battle it out, everyone who deserves a shot gets one, use the current BCS formula to determine it (with more computers included, so that it's a genuine computer POLL), and you're golden.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm okay with a 4 team system as well.
But with an 8 team system you have a better opportunity to give a team like HAW or BSU a chance when they put together an awesome season. And personally, I think it would be exciting seeing a BSU/OU type game with more on the line than just Fiesta Bowl Pride.

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be a nice upside to an 8 team tourney, but it's not worth the downside of giving teams like LSU/USC/Kansas shots that they don't deserve because they managed to hang around in the top 8. It would devalue the regular season too much. USC's loss to Stanford SHOULD eliminate them from contention (if they lose a second game as well). In a four-team playoff it still does. In an eight-team playoff they can still backdoor their way in, and that's bad. Bad enough that an eight-team playoff would be worse than the current system.

Best options in order:
1. Four team "and one" playoff
2. Current BCS
3. Eight team playoff