View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Full Squat Trouble

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I keep my heels shoulder width, with my toes just a little past that (since my feet are angled 30 degrees out). You should be able to get into that prayer squat position from there if not one or two inches wider, depending on whether you have freakishly long forearms.

You own a copy of Starting Strength, don't you? If I still could not get into good position like this, I might think about squatting to just below parallel for one or two workouts while maintaining good form, then trying to drop it down a bit lower each time after that until you feel good. How much are your squat work sets and what are your stats?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do the rippetoe, I was up to 175lbs for 3 sets of 5 before I figured out my problem at the bottom of my squat.

I'm trying to improve my flexibility. I'm pretty sure that's a major reason for my problem. I workout again on sunday and I'll report back to this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a pretty good workout today. I was able to do bodyweight squats without that back rounding issue, and I think it has something to do with my stance width. I narrowed it a bit, so that it's shoulder width. Also, when I go to the bottom position, I have to think of it as "getting my ass down between my legs" and opening up my hips as I do this. Sort of a "get down in the hole" movement. I worked the weight up slowly to 175, and did my work sets there today. 3 sets of 5.

I did some stretching the last couple of days which seemed to have helped.

My knee is feeling pretty good right now, minor weirdness, no pain.