View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: ATo in BB - simple flop question

[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys trying to make me cry? Why are people so afraid of betting their damn hands?

Checkraise? Who? It's a limped pot; what makes you think someone's going to take a stab? Just bet for the love of Christ.

Argh. This is so standard.

OK, I'll try to stop being grouchy. Continue discussing the merits of checking TPTK in a limped pot... maybe I will learn something. After all, that's... what... we're... here for.

[/ QUOTE ]
I play 10/20 live @ FW and I would typically bet out in this hand because there is a fair chance the flop would get checked through. But there are times (maybe 20%-30%) where I can count on the button to bet if checked to, so then I go for a C/R.

Online is a very different game in my experience though I have never played Full Tilt. My experience was that it gets checked through infrequently. My default play would be to C/R and bet out in the cases where I knew the other players to be passive/cautious (which would be about 20%).

The problem with betting out when a C/R would have been available is that it fails to protect a vulnerable hand against up to two other players. My experience both live and online play is that when a BB bets out nobody puts them on top pair and everybody is willing to call a flop bet with even just one overcard.

There is another advantage to check raising occasionally/frequently on the flop. Over time people become less willing to bet in position when checked to and it opens up steal opportunities from SB and BB on the turn (as if I had just whiffed on a flop check raise).