View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Ask darom03 about being a sucessful telemarketer

[ QUOTE ]
lol at making an ask me thread about this.

I worked at a little startup in a rundown office selling ads on high school sports posters. The whole thing felt like straight out of boiler room. My boss told every pretty much every new employee to watch that movie too...
We had no affiliation with any of these schools, and as long as we didnt say we were with the schools this was somehow legal. He would find HS football/basketball/baseball schedules on the internet and print them off on a 17x11 poster, to which we sold ads on just like HS booster clubs do. We charged $100-$800 depending on the size of the ad on these things and we claimed to send out "up to 2000 posters to the community". Idk if we actually sent all these out or who actually got them. I was always told to just say grocery stores, restaurants, ect...

As for the actual selling part. WOW that [censored] was a rush sometimes... I walked in the first day with a headset and the yellowpages on my desk and was told to sell to whoever I could get on the phone basically. I had $700 sold(at 33%comm) by lunch and felt like I just did $700 worth of blow. I got myself a bunch of sales books and listened to my boss on the phone, brought in my own computer to use... I was grinding out 200 cold calls/day out of the phonebook/ internet yellowpages for a few months. It just felt like another sales job at first, but i got tired of scamming people and as time went on I was realizing show shady the whole thing was and left even though the money was pretty good for a 19 yr old.

This makes poker feel like charity work compared to what a lot of telemarketers out there are doing. THAT is a hard way to make an easy living in my eyes.

i'm gonna go watch BR now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post fail horridly in regards to not asking me a question. But given the great joy, I got out of reading your post, I forgive you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]