View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Re: 8k Post - Microlimit bankroll: The misunderstood game of poker (tl

Very good post Aaron - thank you. I find I agree with what you wrote, but your post articulated what I feel about why I play poker very well, better than I could have done. My prime reason for playing poker is that I find the game fun and interesting, and a challenging competitive activity that I can take part in (ill health means I am physically fairly limited these days and so have had to give up sports and the like).

My bankroll, spread across three sites, is about $800-$900 at the moment and I play 25c/50c mainly. I have played some 50c/$1 but for some reason I do worse at the lower limit, so am concentrating on that at the moment. Although I *could* reload if I busto, I would much rather not do that as my bankroll was started from a $350 or so deposit with some 'found' money (a bonus from work, this about a year and a half ago) and I have an agreement with my wife not to redeposit if I lose it all. I think she is less worried these days about the possibility of me becoming a losing degen addict and running up ŁKs of debt!

The bolded comments in the OP: "your goal is to make your bankroll last for as long as you want to play poker" and "your goal is to protect your bankroll from busto, but the purpose of the bankroll is to allow you to play poker" really struck a chord. I had been perhaps worrying a bit too much about the ups and downs of my bankroll. The better state of mind is not to worry explicitly about the ups and downs - as long as my bankroll enables me to carry on playing.

Sorry for the rambling tl;dr reply. I think I have addressed the ops questions at the end - apart from what I have done with the winnings. The answer is nothing yet, they are still deposited.