View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: nl cash -- adjusting to limp callers when you\'re oop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you have these donks who are making a theoretical mistake playing small pots in position by limping and then whahahahaha shows up and corrects their mistake by raising junk OOP. nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree.

Opponent has made another mistake, which is that he's telegraphed the weakness of his hand. Hero can/should raise quality hands for equity and to build a bigger pot because they will hit flops hard.

Don't raise junk, but a range of like top 25% is probably worth popping. Sometimes you will win preflop because he will muck that 94o, sometimes it will get checked down and you will win with underpair or high cards, and since opponent's passive he's not going to exploit position properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot safely build large pots vs passive players who have position.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends what he's limping in with. If he's superpassive and is limping in with A4s and KJ and 55, then I agree, you don't want to build pots vs that type of hand in position.

But if he's limping in with Q3o and 85o and 92s (which is more typical) then I'm gonna pop it up and pound away with confidence if I hit TPGK. I want to set up a big turnbet hammerblow. Flop cont bets after popping it up will probably turn only a small profit, but what I'm really looking for is to get a pot-sized bet in on the turn for value with my TPGK hands. It's very difficult to get that big a bet into action OOP vs. a passive opponent in a limped pot; checkraises fail to make big pots when opponent checks behind or bets so small that you can't generate a good-sized checkraise.