Thread: Alcoholism
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Alcoholism

[ QUOTE ]
Well I would say most experts would say you're technically an alcoholic if you have a chemical dependency to it. Do you crave it every day?

I have alcoholism running all through my family. I got drunk my first time in the 5th grade. I got busted too, that sucked.

By the time I was 30 I was drinking every night of the week. When I say every night I literally mean 99 nights out of 100. Not a beer or two more like 12+ EVERY night.

I had a son who was 4 years old. I wanted to break the chain. I didn't want him to grow up around alcohol period. I didn't want it to be like when I was a kid at 8 year old when my dad was too drunk to drive. I'd hold the steering wheel because my dad was coming close to running off in a canal.

I truly didn't feel like I was addicted to alcohol. I've always had VERY strong will. I can do anything. I don't say that to brag, I think we all can be that way.

Anyway, my biggest worry when I knew I was going to have to quit wasn't being addicted to it. It was not knowing what I was going to do with my life after work. At least what was I going to do on the nights I didn't have my son.

Anyway I'll go into greater details and explain anything you want but long long long story short is I've been sober for about 5 1/2 years. Not one time did I have any desires for a drink.

I am very lucky I quit when I did.....If I had waited until now I really don't think my son would be the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats. Many people ruin there lives not figuring out what you did. Out of curiosity did you physically feel like [censored] when you drank everyday, or were you so used to it you felt normal? How did you stay hydrated?

As for OP I am the same way. I do not drink very often anymore (for being in college anyway prob average < 1 night a week) but when I do I blackout. Most of my friends do to; usually none of us remember how we got home from the bars. If I am out with just my GF I rarely blackout because she doesn’t drink very heavy, so I do not have someone to do endless shots with (if she is around me and my friends I still end up blacking out).

I would not say I am an alcoholic but I recognize I have a problem with bingeing because I don’t want to get that wasted usually, but once the drinking starts I keep going till I am blacked out.

As far as you being an alcoholic I suppose it depends on how often you drink, urges, affecting your work/family life etc… But I would say you being 27 and blacking out every time means you have some sort of drinking problem for sure.