View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Taking a break from Poker - LONG & Low Content

[ QUOTE ]
Janelle; you've not failed to impress me since i started seeing some posts by you in the past couple of weeks.
<font color="blue">Ty that is a very nice compliment, </font>

This is an amazing post; there are not a lot of players out there who can actually take the time to sit back and assess how and why non-poker issues can start to affect their poker.

<font color="blue"> Ty again. Yes it was just so clear to me that my playing was become poor and I knew it must be because my life is changing so drastically. I love my family too much to mess that up for poker. </font>

I was stuck in a rut for long time after going busto. When i did play i was playing badly; i was depressed etc etc...

it took a very close friend to turn around and say 'i dont consider you a friend at the moment' for me to actually take a good look at my life and make some changes.
<font color="blue"> Wow... quite a comment. But in my case my bf has been very understanding about my poker playing -- to a degree. He hasn't made a big to do about it, but I can tell by comments he makes he is holding it back for some blow up which would eventually happen... if that makes sense. </font>

I was fortunate; another friend rang me up with a plan to stake me and 6 months on ive made money every month (allbeit not much)

More importantly I'm thinking about the game well; am constantly browsing here and on the phone chatting about hands, plays and strategy.

Even more importantly i'm enjoying life again, my self confidence has returned... i met (and broke up with) a lovely girl. My mental wellbeing is good.

<font color="blue"> LOL well I don't think my wellbeing would be good after that but I guess you weren't really in love. </font>

The trick to this game before everything is the ability to beat your self; you have shown maturity and an ability to think beyond the game itself.

A break is a fine idea; especially given the circumstances....sometimes a five minute break to get off tilt is called for, other times a much longer break is needed; just like any other job.

I hope your boyfriends mother recovers; keep well and good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> TY... yes I think after I take a break. I will come back better than before because I realized I haven't given myself time to actually really learn this game and really absorb everything I have learned. I feel like I just got caught in a whirlwind and went along for the ride. Now when I think about playing poker I plan to read and study instead until after the whole holiday fiasco is over. I haven't read any Omaha books still and I don't review my hands like I did in the beginning and I have a lot of hands to review.

Thank you for your sentiments for my family. It is hard because my dad had just dealt with prostate cancer two years before and that was emotionally stressing for me too and now I feel like I am going through it all over again. It makes me worry. I can't help it I am just a worrier.</font>