View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: A Big Disappointment

I think what GTL is saying is that Fargo is full of screwups. The characters are mostly screwups (save Frances McDormand), the kidnapping is botched, Jerry's plan falls apart, etc. There really aren't any such screwups in NCFOM. And maybe you don't think the characters are smart, but they're certainly resourceful. Brolin survives a lot longer than anyone else Chigurh wants dead because of his resourcefulness, Chigurh never really makes any mistakes, and even Woody showed that he was able to figure out what Brolin was doing pretty easily.

As for Jones, I think his character was very smart, he just wasn't really up for the job anymore (and for the record, he did get his man....at the very beginning). McDormand caught the bad guys due to their own incompetence as much as anything else, whereas Jones had no such luck. Jones was at least smart enough to do what little he could do, but maybe I'm just defending him because he reminds me a lot of my dad.

And about the car accident...I don't really know why that happened. In the book it says that the guy driving the car that hit Chigurh was high, so maybe it was a statement about how drugs will get everybody in one way or another. In the movie, though, it just came across as something that happened for no apparent reason.