View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Inevitable mathematical solving of chess, and Limit / NL hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
They already have an approximate game theoretical solution to the limit hold em heads up player .

http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~games/pok...hanson.msc.pdf

The University of Alberta has come up with "Spartan" which plays a tough game of limit hold em . After several thousand hands played , I'm slightly on the negative side and I consider myself to be a strong heads up player .

On the other hand , I can beat the nl hold em bots without looking at my cards; well , almost . There is a lot more work to be done for the nl hold em bots but I'm certain within a few years , the AI's will be able to compete with the upper echelon of players .

[/ QUOTE ]

Because by limiting yhe amount you can raise / bluff, it amplifies the importance of the cards you hold. Therefore the real odds and probabilites are much closer to there real value.

The richest players have mastered No Limit as it is no where near as reliant on the cards you are dealt. Which means you can still make money against poor player with no cards.

This is where computers will have real problems, but AI is moving on and it won't be long before there are very good CPU players. But it is not a complete logical solution like Chess or Checkers.

I personally believe that the things that require sheer power, like cracking encryption or solving chess, may not be solved as we know it. I believe either quantom physics or bioloigical computers may hld the answer. It will be the typical thing where every bosy goes WOW. If we keep the current computer model, we won't solve chess or strong encryption anytime soon