View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Home game rules - slight rant

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think the online boom has led people to expect that there are 'standards' to the game, which was rarely the case before.

Ten years ago and I could often wonder if I was playing the same game if I compared different homegames.

That's how the different versions of the game came to be also, without these variations we probably wouldn't have the poker games we love today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that online poker has the opposite effect. Online it is impossible to break any rules and there is never a dealer error so there is no need to know anything. Nobody can make a mistake. Transfer these players to a live game and problems start happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably get a bit of hassle from people who are not used to counting the pot, and maybe betting out of turn etc, the things that the online software does for them automatically.

But I think you'll also get much'standard' versions of the table games, fewer funky houserules and betting standards will probably be more standardized too.

You probably won't end up in a 6-stud game where the Q of spades is wild, where the ace of diamonds automatically takes a quarter of the pot, where the wheel is the nutstraight and there is a messed up PL betting standard with a cap. Not as much as before anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]