View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: How can I explain to ppl that online sites are not rigged?

[ QUOTE ]
Why would I want to explain to ppl that online sites are not rigged?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good poker players will know it is not rigged, but if you only play against good poker players, you won't make nearly as much as if you have casual players dumping in a lot of money. Casual players who do not mind losing much will not play (or will not play as much or for as high stakes) if they feel they are being cheated.

Further, there are many situations in which you may need someone's respect in real life, say a boss, or a landlord, or an inlaw. If they hear that you play online poker and win, and they believe that online poker is dishonest, then they may view you as a cheater, a liar, or a fool.

One thing I point out is that people are very bad at recognizing when they deal with real randomness. People are also very willing to find excuses when they lose. The result is that people complain about every single poker server, as well as every backgammon server, play money bridge, etc. Not only are some of these sites fair, the vast majority if not all of them are fair. That means people complain about fair sites. This doesn't convince everyone, but it makes many people realize they are joining a mob of clueless people, and they need more than a couple of bad beat stories to have a respectable complaint.

Another thing I offer to do, which stops most people from complaining that the server is rigged, is that I offer to bet against whatever pattern they say they have observed. If someone thinks 6-6 is rolled 1/30 of the time instead of 1/36, I offer to pay 32:1. (It's a bit more complicated in poker due to the hidden cards, but I've made similar offers in poker.) That way, if they are right, they win money, and if they are wrong, they will lose money. Well, money talks and BS walks. People who say their patterns are obvious, and claim to be 100% convinced, don't actually believe what they say enough to bet.