View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Which currency system do you think is best?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, a flexible money supply isn't necessarily a fiat currency. increased supplies of gold would increase the money supply. EDIT: distribution of gold also could imply a flexible money supply. so whoever controls the supply and/or the storage distribution fo gold controls the change in the money supply

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't anywhere close to the same thing, and you know it. This is like saying that the fact that free market actors can choose when to produce more cheese, increasing the cheese supply means that a free market in cheese is pretty similar to a centrally planned cheese market.

[ QUOTE ]
my question is then who controls gold production (or maintenance/storage)? whoever controls gold supply thus controls the money supply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who owns gold mines right now? This isn't very hard.

[ QUOTE ]
does that not also restrict freedoms even though it is in absolutely no way a fiat currency system?

[/ QUOTE ]

What freedoms are being restricted? Does the fact that farmers own farms restrict freedoms? To use your terminology, "i have no idea what you're point is. can you rephrase this into a clear sentence?"

[/ QUOTE ]

so how would gold mines not act in their interest and produce marginally more gold? i.e. what would restrain them.

that is what i'm after...
Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I care? According to your previous arguments, we should want them to produce more gold, shouldn't we?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats fairly disingenuous. i think you know via reading what we've been talking about here the issue is both producing MORE gold and NOT TOO MUCH gold. i.e. running at below optimal profit inducing capacity in order to maintain a fixed money supply...or even a marginally slowly growing one.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I think I see the source of the miscommunication. There is no "right amount" of gold. There's not going to be some committee that says "ABC mining company should only mine X ounces next year." Just like "the market" doesn't tell Dell how many PCs to manufacture. Well, it does, sort of. But if it makes too many, it's squandering its own resources. Dell doesn't benefit by making more than it can sell. So why is making "too much" gold a problem? If it is, why isn't it a problem now?

And note, I've never advocated a "fixed money supply".

[/ QUOTE ]

gotcha. i actually think i'm with you in understanding what you're saying now.

not matter what commodity you choose, the market price of that commodity based currency system would adjust such that an overproduction would lower the price of money and an underproduction would increase the price of money. the "natural" price of money would flow from the economy producing at potential GDP since that is the amount that would be demanded from the commodity producers.

is that about right?

Barron