View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Dog Advice Needed

I agree with the advice to use a crate. A lot depends on the dog. Like I said in the other post I made give them a little treat when they go in the crate. Also you might want to consider giving them something to chew on when they're in the crate. Not all dogs will chew in their crates but many do. Sounds like your dog needs some structure so give it to him/her. Make it something the dog likes (such as a treat and something to chew on) and that should work most of the time.

On the walks just use corrections. You might try socializing your dog with other dogs and people as well. Dogs actually do like hanging with other dogs. It takes some work but can be well worth it. I've got a male bloodhound that's not quite 2 years old and is 95 pounds. He is the most social dog I've ever encountered so when he's out on a walk every person and every dog is his brand new best friend. My wife and I have had to do a lot of work in toning that down so it isn't necessarily easy. My experience is that problem 1 is much easier to solve than problem 2.