View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Stars 50K Guaranteed - The Dreaded Min Raise

23suited,

[ QUOTE ]
I never stated I thought 3-betting for information was a good play... however I do believe that 3-betting for value is the best option available to you (the fact that you force your opponent to give away information by taking this line just adds further value to it)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Prior, I was only making general observations about some of the responses that were being given from all posters, perhaps you included. I certainly don't intend to project opinions onto anyone.

Addressing specifically your response...

Valuable information as a further benefit: We already have valuable information....villian is very loose and very passive pre-flop....AND calls all raises.

This makes raising bad for several reasons.

1.) If hero would need to "tread carefully postflop because if you are not an experienced post flop player then you will probably get yourself into trouble far more often then you would like", then how is bloating the pot to 9 or 10x a good idea? Your raise will not take the pot down.

Its not just the times he pushes with whatever his pushing range is, its all the times that he will call with his calling range, which is everything. Your positional advantage is completely negated by the fact that villians stack is roughly the size of the pot. Now you risk folding the best hand in a big pot as opposed to a small pot.

QT2 flop and villian pushes into you?
AK4 flop and villian checks to you?

[ QUOTE ]
any comments I made previously about AA and KK were made in regards to the times your opponent 4-bets you all in... If you believe that is his entire range for the 4-bet a fold in that spot would be rather obvious...

[/ QUOTE ]

2.) This is what we dont have a read on. We have no clue what his 4-bet range is???? How do you know TT is not the nuts to him? Everyone pushes AK/QQ. We have no basis for the belief that his 4 bet all-in range is KK-AA.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean Jarid what are you re-raising with here... do you smooth call pre with AK???... is your raising range QQ+... or are you smooth calling all of the hands which likely have value against his range...

[/ QUOTE ]

I rerise QQ+ and AK and call with a myriad of other hands aginst this specific player.

[ QUOTE ]
but isnt this exploitable on your part...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, but only if villian decides "I'm not gonna raise any hands all tournament and then spring to life just at the right time to make Jarid play sub-optimally with the best hand".

Seriously, against players with normal or higher raising frequencies, I totally re-raise this. Esepcially if they mix up 3xs with min raises, because min raises usually mean trashier or weaker hands, or hands people are trying to feign strength with. Or, if their standard raise is a min raise and they raise frequently etc..etc...
But here, with the information at hand, calling seems super standard to me. Based on 1 and 2 above, raising presents big time -EV situations.

Finally, if you want to raise for value, I think calling villians push is better than folding to villian's push based on #2 above.

Thanks,
Jarid