View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Nutt gone

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nutt made the right decision. I think he's a great coach and his stock was up after the LSU win. He can start fresh at Ole Miss with a new contract. I would not have wanted to come back to Arky without DMac given the divided fanbase. Good split for both parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Nutt is a very good coach, and hopefully Ole Miss gives him a chance to be successful. Someone mentioned his "mediocre" record at Ark, but I think he did a very good job with the program.

Its obvious the relationship just soured on all sides, and Ole Miss got a great hire imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm an AR alumn and not a rabid one from the North. The summaries in this thread are pretty accurate but one thing that is typically left out is that Nutt's record in the SEC was a shade over .500 and his record vs. the team's that matter (ie Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, etc.) is terrible. Now there is no question that Nutt brought the U of A up a notch because he did without a doubt. We weren't even contenders prior to him so I do give him credit. But Nutt's shenanigans off the field have shown that he is very ego driven, to the point of running off key players that could have made a very real difference in the last two seasons for AR.

That said, I do think it's the right move for AR and absolutely the right move for Nutt. AR is at a point where they want to find out if they can truly compete in the SEC year in and year out. Only an SEC championship and a BCS bowl game are acceptable. Now, is this an unrealistic expectation given the powerhouse programs in the SEC? Maybe. It completely depends on who AR can get to be their head coach. If we end up getting a lesser coach than Nutt, which is entirely possible given AR history, then we've done ourselves no good and probably set the organization back. But as a fan, I'm ready to roll the dice and take that chance.

By the way, for those of you interested, take a look and see what Gus Malzahn has done for Tulsa since Nutt ran him off.