Thread: TLDR Beer Club
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

I think I'll do a couple reviews tonight. For my first, I'll review an impulse buy. If you look carefully at the bright green sticker in the pick below, you'll see why. I bought this bottle of Grieskirchner Joerger Weisse because it was on sale for $1.44 for a half liter. That's cheaper than a single 12 oz of Sam Adams, JW Dundees, or any of the "premium" beers put out by BMC. Should I have been wary? We'll see, but I didn't have much to lose. Somewhat unusually, this is an Austrian weissbier, not a German one. It has a fairly typical 5.1% ABV.

The beer pours a typical golden yellow. The head is a little shy for this style. It's a bottle conditioned beer, and I swirled the yeast into the beer as usual.

The first thing I smell in this beer is a bold fruity sweetness. It doesn't smell as spicy as some. In the flavor, though, the fruit, mostly apple, peach, and banana is a little more subdued than I expected. The yeast and wheat flavors of the malt are good, and it's definitely a sweeter beer. This isn't the most exciting weissbier I've had, but for this price, I can't complain at all. I'm going to give it [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I'm pretty tempted to go back for a case.