View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Re: check raise w/ a wheel/#2/#3 after 3rd draw

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

With 75432, this particular solution is betting about 1/3 of the time but check-raising the other 2/3 of time.

Now, you might argue that you exploit your opponents' tendencies better by betting always, but I think you will actually get paid off a lot by check-raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you missing the times that the villain checks behind, which sadly is quite often?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, are you counting all the times it goes bet/fold on the end and you don't get paid off anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think those times are rare if the villain is pat (its hard to understand the OP, but I think thats what he was saying), he is usually checking behind with with more weak hands which he would not call a c/r for, yet call on the river with some of the hands which he would check behind with.
[ QUOTE ]

OP says that his opponent drew one. I agree that 1:0 is a completely different situation than 1:1 and should be mostly bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you explain your solver equation, perhaps that would help us find the middle ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a simple explanation, I just have an (unpublished) result. When you put the best 26 1-card draws (7432-8763 plus 2345-2456) up against each other, a game-theoretic optimal strategy for the first player is results in the mix summarized above.

Let's see if we can come up with a silly simple example. Suppose there are 5 bets in the pot. Your opponent has 7432 and:

jams his 5's and 6's
bet-call or calls a bet with his 8's and 9's
bet-fold or calls a bet with his T
checks behind or calls a single bet with JQKA
checks behind or folds 2's and 3's
bluff-fold or folds 4's and 7's

How does check-raising 75432 compare with betting it?
Opponent card, Net value of KR (approx)
5, 0
6, 0
8, +1
9, +1
T, 0
J, -1
Q, -1
K, -1
A, -1
2, 0
3, 0
4, +1
7, +1

That would make it a dead heat between check-raising and betting out. If he calls more (say with deuces) then you are better off betting. If he bets more (any pair, or jacks) or bet/calls more (with a T) then you are better off check-raising.