View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Sony Store guy tells me to go live in a cave. (long w/pics + a Q)

I'm pretty sure that I am much older than the average 2p2er and I'll let you know that I bought my first computer (iMac) only a few years ago. A lot of people had been telling me to get one but I didn't really need one and was actually pleased that I was the only one without one but I came across an Apple store and made an impulse buy. So now I can use a computer to a small extent and I've gotten to thinking that maybe I should get a new one. There is a brand new Sony Store at the Fashion Square Mall in Scottsdale, AZ. I wander in and end up looking at their VAIO notebooks and fiddling with them to see if I can work them at all which I can a little bit. A salesman who looks 15 to me comes over and wants to help me so I ask what's the difference between the $1,200 model and the $2,700 model which he blah, blah, blahs about and I don't really follow too much except that the expensive one has a built in wireless thing with an antenna.

This brought up a question that I've wondered about so I ask him what's up with the wireless internet stuff when it comes to security so I ask how would I protect my passwords if I use the thing in a WiFi area and he tells me that the connection is secure. I mention that I've read of people who sit outside places like that with electronic gizmos and try to pick up people's passwords and then empty out their bank accounts which I don't know if that's true so I figure I'll ask the Sony Store geek-guy. Here's the conversation, pretty much:

'Well, if you're going to worry about every little thing you might as well live in a cave far underground and not ever come out into the world. You should be away from people who might try to do something to you.'

'I don't think that my bank account password is *every little thing* and I just want to know if somebody can intercept my wireless communications.'

'There is always the possibility of somebody doing something with electronics to put you in jeapordy and if you're going to worry about it you should just go live in a cave like I said.'

'You forgot to mention that I would also really need a security system

claymore mines

and a robot machine gun.

And then I asked him if he actually managed to ever sell anything to anyone and he went away, thank goodness.

I'm still left with the question and I know I'll get the answer here:

What's up with this wireless stuff? Can you send passwords over the internet this way without them getting intercepted or not? If you can is there any special precautions that you have to take?

Thanks for the help.