View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Bet or slowplay?

[ QUOTE ]
If you're ever in a situation where you have to wonder, "Should I slowplay" the answer is "No". If it's ever close, or if you are unsure of how to proceed you want to err on the side of betting. Slowplay, particularly at small stakes where most players are very straightforeward and/or very bad, is a precision tool and if you're not sure now is the right time to slowplay then do not slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this almost entirely. Most of my worst beats came as a result of slow-playing a great, but not nut hand and getting run down by the river... I've got a lot of scar tissue thanks to moronic attempts to slowplay a strong hand.

My only exception to this rule is if you have a very specific read on an opponent who you KNOW will almost always bet out if you check. There's a aggro player at my home game who is such easy money most of the time because he will almost always bet big if someone shows weakness. And once he does it, if you call or raise, he's stuck in the middle of a big pot and will often pay you off big. But he's the rare exception to the rule. Few players are so utterly predictable... Generally speaking, slowplaying either loses you the chance to get money in the pot or gives an opponent a chance to outdraw you...