View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: hand from late in the stars 100k

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta bet the flop. I agree that a bigger pf raise makes more sense OOP.

At this point you beat nothing but a bluff... but given the dead money in the pot and the fact that he could be making a play in hopes that you have TT/JJ/KK means that you have to get the money in. If you call this bet and lead the turn your hand looks really strong. If you call this bet and check the turn you give him two chances to improve and he still isn't calling on the river unless he has you beat.

Shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what I would do in this spot; probably the standard play (raise more pf, bet flop, get it in). However, I'd be tempted to c/c flop.

1. Do you have one of the flush cards? What cards are flush - AQ, Q5, or A5? If it's the Q5, should it effect our analysis? Probably not, but against some opponents, it could make things more interesting.

2. I'm tempted to try to play small ball here. I have 30bb+, I'm assuming I'm a big chip leader and that my opponent is near the same. I have plenty of chips to steal and build my stack otherwise. This board is scary for both parties given ranges. I do think villain is apt not to simply call with AA/QQ/AQ/KK/JJ/1010 here. The hands I'm ahead of, he is drawing very slim, so I'm not worried about giving him a free card. Most of the scare cards that may hit on the turn and river are already gone. MOST times I'm not worried about the flush either, since at least one of the flush draws hit the A or the Q.

The pot is 20K and you said opponent is decent. If you bet, you're committed with AK. If you check, you can see what he does and go from there. You have a better chance at inducing a bluff/trapping him if he takes a big stab than you do of winning while ahead if you bet pot. You also have a better chance of keeping the pot stable until the river; I don't see you having any chance of doing this if you bet now.

Barry