View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: World Population Growth

[ QUOTE ]
Evolution does not work to cause all creatures to develop in the direction of greater intelligence, nor does it ensure that the sick or "dumb" portions of a given population eventually dwindle away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not mean that exactly. I meant
- in the case of humans, we did evolve to be more intelligent (it is not necessarily the case with evolution in general)
- since high intelligence is a fairly rare trait considering all the species on the planet, I don't think there's much precedent for how it works vis a vis evolution, but certainly we're at a point where it's not much of an evolutionary advantage for humans because the intelligence of so few can affect the survivability of so many others (other than themselves). Intelligence has very little to do with whether or not you can reproduce.

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, there is more than enough wealth in the world to accomplish both goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I claim that this can't be true for very much longer given current population growth.

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, you seem to take as an article of faith that having lots of kids is economically irrational if you are indigent. In certain areas of the world, particularly in subsistence farming communities, that may not be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wherever it's not correct, then I agree it's.... uh, not correct [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]