View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: No parachute skydiving prop bet?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So in attempt #1 the guy died but somehow the footage was still salvaged? I don't buy it...

[/ QUOTE ]

They had a chute on the guy holding on, obv.

[ QUOTE ]
Phil, air resistance is gonna be about the same, but the force of gravity is twice as strong with two people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not going to insult you Noah, if you were some random 5 post person i might. I also accept you might have been levelling. Its been a good few years since i studied physics for all of 1 year, ignore everything below if you dont care bout random crap.

Gravity is a constant force on the earth and an object accellerates according to the constant force of gravity pulling it down and the force of friction (air resistance) which works 'against' gravity lowering its effect. Mass, and therefor weight as weight is mass times the gravity, is irrelivent to acceleration and terminal velocity.

The reason it might be different with two people is because they are holding onto each other their air resitance might be increased.

So whilst they might have a lower terminal velocity relative to each individually they will never have a higher one - all things being equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what you are talking about. I am not a physics expert. But I do know that a pair of people on top of one another will fall much faster than a single jumper. Have you ever seen a tandem jump done (i have done a 1200 tandems as an instructor) we use a drouge chute to slow our decent rate to that of a normal jumper which is around 120mph. The reason the two fall faster is there is more weight and less resistance.