View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Battling Procrastination

[ QUOTE ]
Three things that I find help:

(1) Try to get one little easy thing done. Sometimes the hardest part is starting the days work, once you do that, you will find yourself following up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very very true. Starting is the very hardest thing, by far. Every tiny bit of momentum you get going makes things much easier. It's the getting the first momentum that can be boggling.

[ QUOTE ]
(2) At the end of the day, don't finish up, that is, don't stop at the natural break point. It's hard to start the day off by thinking, you want the first thing you do tomorrow to be the easy, natural progression of what you're doing today. For instance, if you are writing a document, you may want to leave off in mid-

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an extremely good trick. I remember some great writer suggesting it, and it's brilliant. This one folds perfectly into the first one, too, and is about substantially the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]
(3) Talk to other people about your task. For some reason talking about something I'm working on always makes me want to work on it more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes this kills a task for me and makes it very hard to stay interested in it. I kind of need things to come to a boil and get enthused about them on my own. If I spill the beans, I start to worry about being judged even if I think I'm doing great, and can get discouraged or even fatalistic. On the other hand, once I'm really thoroughly engaged, I can't be stopped and even the tiniest bit of encouragement zaps me like a lightning bolt.