View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: 8k Post - Microlimit bankroll: The misunderstood game of poker (tl

Great post Aaron, imho br management is one of the most important factors to consider as a poker player.

[ QUOTE ]

What is your bankroll experience? When did you start playing poker semi-casually? How much did you start with? Where are you now? What have you done with your winnings?

[/ QUOTE ]
I never jumped straight into poker, I decided to research the game a bit 1st hence why my first deposit included money for both PT & PAHUD, which was $300 back in Sep 05. Started off doing the bonus @ bet365's 0.25/0.50 tbls. For those that remember it this was decided after reading Homer's br post, which I followed closely 'cause Paradise $200 bonus was the next stop.

Now days after having a brief moment @ 10/20, I'm grinding out the 5/10 6max tbls. A few of the things I've spent my winnings on are; with my 1st withdrawal I placed a deposit on my home, took my GF to QLD for a holiday soon after. Since then I've bought a few toys such as surround sound, 24" monitor, upgraded my PC, etc. But I've generally tried to keep building my BR I like the comfort of being over-rolled.

[ QUOTE ]

What is your bankroll philosophy? Do you agree with me? Disagree? How do you look at your poker money?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ur br philosophy is similar to mine, & I think ur spot on. Personally I've never been afraid to move down or up, I enjoy the challenge of moving up but I make sure there is enuff br buffer to cover me if anything goes sour. Moving down is just a part of ur experience in poker, I've felt often if I was uncomfortable @ a certain level no matter of whether I'm adequately rolled or not I would move back down. For me it's all bout my confidence in my game & confidence to make money.

[ QUOTE ]

What are your struggles with your bankroll? How have you dealt with bad variance? Have you ever been close to busto? What did you do about it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've always played with a decent sized br, tho lately a lot of that is to do with not withdrawing due to a horrible exchange lol (but it did drop 2c 2day yay!). But I do feel due to the times I play the games seem tougher during my evenings hence my br requirements generally need to be a bit higher as there can be often not a great selection of games going. Even to an extent I'm considering playing less 5/10 during weeknights (which I guess is also influenced by my current downswing!). As I mentioned having a decent br has helped me accept downswings, I'm currently experiencing a 400BB downswing @ 5/10 (which happened in 4 days of play). This is not fun but it also has helped me realise some areas of my game which I need to fix.

I've never been close to busto, in fact after in my 1st 21 months of poker I never had a losing month (/brag lol!) However I made sure my 1st losing month was worth it -$6K [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] This was after I had moved up to 10/20, @ the end of the month I decided it was time to move back down to 5/10! I guess 'cause I don't withdrawal very often & I don't take shots at limits too high (sometimes I take shots @ limits that I'm rolled for but haven't got the confidence to play as my main game) as well as not wanting to be below a 1000BB BR is why I haven't been close to being busto.