View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: 8k Post - Microlimit bankroll: The misunderstood game of poker (tl

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Big B/R nit. I feel like I have to be because I have tilt problems. I throw stuff against the wall when I'm losing because I shouldn't lose because I'm better than my opponents. Lost 400bb's in my first 35k hands of 5/10. So I want 1000BB's before I move up. $14k right now - I can't wait to hit $16k so I can play 8/16 because I've played the same limit for over a year. My only withdrawl was $10k a year ago to pay for a car. I'm not sure I really have a point here.

[/ QUOTE ]

hah, that applies to me at moments too, i mean the throwing of things against the wall. I've moved down to 0.02/0.04 at UB, then currently at 0.05/0.10 at PS. Seems to be doing well, at least the small bet size is not affecting my playing decisions. Hope to make it up the 'class' of LHE within this year!

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play 15/30 live exclusively and I made the mistake of never building up my bankroll thorugh play. I started off by giving my self a bankroll of $500 for 2/4. After only 20-30 hours of play i had accumulated about $1K. Instead of playing longer at that limit I decided to give myself an additional $2K and move up to 4/8 immediately. I saw the same terrible play here but I didn't run as hot. I played about 100 hours at this limit and then convinced myself that I could play higher even though I had only broke even over that time. This is when I began to lose touch with reality and gave myself another $5K and told myself that it was a surefire investment. I moved up to 10/20 and 15/30. It took only another 100-150 hours and I had completely used up my bankroll. After that I took a one month break and read every poker book I could. Then I gave myself another $5K and lost..... and then another $5K...... and then another $5K. In the end I had lost $21.5K over about a year and a half in addition to some deposits I had made for online play. During this time I convinced myself over and over that I was running poorly.

Anyway, I took a six month break from poker after this and decided earlier this year to give it another try but this time I would start low and only move up when I had earned an adequate bankroll to do so. I started at .10/.20 with a $100 roll and from there I have moved to .25/.50 where I am currently. I have taken a more conservative approach and vowed not to move up in limits until I have at least 1000BB. I am now taking the approach that Aaron mentioned in OP of having a bankroll only for the purpose of being able to continue to play, where as before I had the get rich quickly mindset.