View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Stud Hi (Trip Queens)

Here is a play from one of my hand histories today... Maybe I played it smart, or just like an idiot. AndyB and the rest, comments?

Note: The player I tangled with was about 30% vpip. She seemed a bit loose a month ago but has improved her game substantially since then (or it's simply another person using the same account now).

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (2.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

· Note: I am a little peeved here. Players with 30% vpip at these levels normally don’t call with AA if they can get a chance to isolate(though I know one that does always slowplay in this spot). I figured she probably has a pair with Ace kicker, or was calling with a three flush to the ace (most likely). At worst, a hand like AQK maybe… (I am assuming she’s smart not to chase without having the Q as I’d be holding 2 blockers from her straight, or is that flawed thinking on my part?

4th Street - (6.50 SB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___double-bets
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

· Note: I always use the double bet. This prevents anyone from getting a line on me when I single bet or double bet a double door card.

I’m also amused she calls here, considering most solid players would be scared shitless at this point. Though I’ve seen solid players who refuse to lay down flush draws in this spot.

5th Street - (6.25 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

· Note: Ok, now I’m really surprised. I’m raised on expensive street? Did she call me with a split aces and a 2-flush in spades on 3’rd? Or did she call with two aces and a 9 kicker, now spiking ace over and putting me to the test?

Very unlikely she has 2 burried nines in there, but possible.

I also had a brief moment thought of rolled up aces on 3’rd by her smooth-call (but didn’t mention it), but pushed it out of my mind, as I remember reading those who put their opponents on rolled-ups end up losing too much chips by playing too scared. But now I’m definitely alarmed, or just overly paranoid on 5’th?

I would have re-banged back vs any donkey, but I was worried why I’m getting re-raised here with a monster strong board by a player who has recently been quite solid now. I decided to play weak as either I’m very ahead (and no need to let a solid coherent player know where I truly am at), or no need to burry a bigger hole if I really am staring down the nuts while I am holding the second-nuts.

Was it a mistake to play weak here?

6th Street - (10.25 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

I still have a few alarm bells ringing, but I’ll let her keep betting for me until I fill up for now.

River - (12.25 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___[b]checks
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets

----- CUT

Ok, I’m going to cut it off for now and ask… Now what?
Certainly I MUST check-raise here, since I filled up and that’s what I wanted. What do I do if I get re-raised, throw in another raise again hoping they have tens full at best, or play safe and just call then?