View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Recent Amarillo Slim news?

[ QUOTE ]
"My god, I can't believe this has been bumped AGAIN"

LOL. So, naturally, your reaction is to bump the thread yet again. Nice hand, Sir.

"Also, I'd like to know how THIS conversation went"

It wasn't terribly complicated. I asked a poker player I know from Amarillo how long he's know Slim. I then asked him if Slim had a history of doing the sort of thing he was accused of. Finally I asked why Slim supposedly confessed and plead guilty. His answers amounted to the information I posted in this thread.

He did make one other point I didn't mention and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to bring it up now. He said he told Slim it would be a mistake to accept the plea bargain and that he thought he should fight the charge. He said Slim debated not taking the deal but in the end he decided he was just too old to go through it all when the alternative was what amounted to a slap on the wrist.

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my original post, my point wasn't that everyone in west Texas hated Amarillo Slim, my point was that there is a large sub-set of people in west Texas who are predisposed to believe that gamblers are sinners who deserve to be punished and it was reasonable for an 80-something year old man not to want to put his life in the hands of a jury that would inevitably be comprised, at least in part, of people who truly believe you've led a life devoted to evil.

If those odds sound good to you, please feel free to let me know the next time you're going to be in Las Vegas... and where and what games you play.

[/ QUOTE ]
5-10 to 25-50 NL holdem; ring, SH, and HU. Also blackjack from 100-2000 a hand, depending on the count. I welcome the action.

Since you seem to not be so up-to-date, btw, responding within 3 hours of a year-old thread being bumped is NOT considered "bumping". But glad to hear that some gambler guy put everything in perspective and set the record straight for you. Obviously, Slim would confide his deepest, darkest secrets to some random old gambler.

Also, he WAS well-liked, especially by those not completely in the know about him, which is most everybody familiar with him.

I was one who thought Slim was awesome...until I found out more about him, and obviously, about the molestation charges. I don't know him personally, and have no more ax to grind vs him than any other child molester who PLEADS GUILTY.

You're bad at this, btw.