Thread: Getting a cat
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Getting a cat

[ QUOTE ]
food - get a good quality food - better quality equals less poop to clean - I like Science diet, but Eukanuba (Iams) and Purina make some good foods too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doc - As i mentioned in my last post, my sister is a vet too (in Florida).
For years she has sworn by the healthier cat-foods and really despises the cheapo varieties.
I think she saw that whole pet-food contamination fiasco coming for a long time now.

She had done some research on some of this stuff and thinks that Iams is 'okay' but you can do even better (can't recall the brand-names off the top of my head)

Overall she is somewhat appalled at the lack of nutrition and unhealthiness of 9 Lives and other cat foods.
Basically she equates it to feeding your cat nothing but Big Macs or something like that.

Healthier cat food, if you can get your cat to eat it, should also help give your cat more energy and be more playful and they will generally be happier.

A couple of her clients who were concerned about their dog/cat's lack of energy have reported significant improvement after a couple weeks of healthier food.
This could be their own wishful observations playing a role too of course, but it certainly seems reasonable to think that eating healthier can lead to more energy.