View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Jim Rogers Buying the Yuan

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but i don't know exactly how to execute it since you can't own chinese currency

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about the Yuan, but what do you mean by this? You mean there are regulations against owning Yuan, or it's just not practical to byu? I used to have several small bank accounts: USD, GBP, EUR, KRW and CNY. There was only a few K in them, but they weren't too much trouble to open.

[/ QUOTE ]

The yuan isn't a free floating currency, it is pegged. (I think) So that means there isn't a "market" for it like the other currency pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

While the yuan is pegged, it is not going to down in value. Everyone in the world, including China, knows that the yuan is undervalued. If it were allowed to trade freely like the rest of the currencies, it would dramatically increase in value. The only thing stopping it is China's political/economical clout.

Eventually, it will reach fair value. But there is no guarantee as to how soon that will happen. I also don't know of a good way of purchasing yuan, but I would love to buy some if I could find an easy way of doing so.

I have read in several places that investing in the Yen is a good way to invest in the Yuan, as for some reason, the Yen is somehow tied to the Yuan and/or will benefit from the yuan increasing in prices. I don't know the exact details behind this though so do your own research before buying any Yen.

But until China is willing to open up their economy, all we can do is ::yuan:: and wait.