View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Fred Thompson for Poker?

[ QUOTE ]
This is supposed to be an open, authentic discussion board. Why take two sentences to describe a certain subset when one or two will do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this topic bubble up a few times over the past couple of days and want to comment on it.

Even if using the terms you use to describe a small subset of the opposition is accurate (and quite frankly, I think it is terrible word choice), somehow you continue to miss the larger picture. By constantly using words that look like broad personal attacks (on religion in particular), you alienate a lot of people who may be open to our arguments.

This isn't about "Oh well, person XYZ can't handle my language--too bad for them."

It is about working very hard to bring people together, show a level of professionalism in lobbying efforts and not be written off immediately by those in the political arena due to language choice.

When an argument contains such language that is perceived by a listener/reader to be harsh/attacking/etc, I believe that a lot of people will dismiss anything else that comes with it. You risk putting yourself, and by association--online poker legality, in a position that is viewed as fringe (just as you try to describe) and irrelevant by the language you use.