View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Workplace Gripes – Vent Here! ! (or just share workplace stories)

[ QUOTE ]
1. It's really tough from a management perspective to be staffed correctly all the time. The last job I had did just what you suggested, waited until we had more work to hire more people, but the result was that it was a good month before they could find qualified people to give offers to and a few more weeks before they started, and then another week before they'd had enough training to actually be helpful at work. This resulted in the rest of us pulling 70-80 hour weeks, sometimes on Saturday and Sunday, during the lag time between needing more people and getting more people. At a salaried job, I'd rather have nothing to do than be putting in overtime without overtime pay...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm. I can see where ActualGirl might have a point. It's a difficult call. But I would think that the promise of a potential contract looming on the horizon would have to be practically imminent before I would go hire on 3-4 more staff and then proceed to watch as everyone in the office sat around surfing the internet for lack of anything to do. As a boss I would feel guilty for leading on the new hires.