View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

Susie Suh

I first saw Susie Suh perform three years ago at an open mike before she was signed to Epic Records. From the first pick on her guitar, I knew I was going to hear something I never heard before. The crowd that was normally talkative became silent, mesmerized by the shear emotion and cadence of her haunting and beautiful voice.

Her music could be best described as vocal and rhythmic. Her songs are sad, speaking from a heart that may have been broken once to many times, but they could exist in no other way.

Unfortunately, her debut album does not capture the essence of what she becomes when she plays live. They decided to over-play the sadness of her songs, where the real beauty of her music lies in the power of her voice. When she plays live, she is powerful. On her album, she sounds whispery and withdrawn, though her power is found on "Seasons Change" and "All I want".

The short time I have talked to her, she is a quiet, nice girl: a person who forever sealed me as a fan. I was very happy to see that she was signed to Epic.

The name of her debut album is Susie Suh. I do like to listen to this album. It has a minimalist, jazzy style, perfect for easy listening, but not suggested if you have just listened to a rock anthem. I could see listening to this album while winding down after a long day, or as a background while talking with a significant other.

Links:

home page : Nothing too much here, but you get a sampler of all her songs.

myspace : with a few whole songs. Not her greatest ones though.

npr interview

wiki