View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: question from schneids\' latest CR vid, BB defense with 44

[ QUOTE ]
doing some stoving I don't think that we have an equity edge here to push, but checkraising does make the hand easier to play. this is something I've noticed in a bunch of his vids, particularily heads up (more huhu vids plz schneids, preferably vs bad/mediocre LAGs at 5/10+). a lot of hands that I will play as bluff catchers (Ax Kx small pairs), schneids will play aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the reason for doing this is so my postflop play can mean anything at any time. One of the biggest difference, IMHO, between the stars 50/100 games and stars 200/400 games, is the 50/100 players are 10x easier to read. Essentially, their flop and turn actions basically always define their hands.

That, and a lot of the time, in the HU pots with those small pairs/ace highs/king highs, the raising on my part is done for value and a further effort to try to get my opponent to fall into a pattern of predictability (most players, when against me and I'm on my game and effectively doing these type of things, fall into one of 2 lines: either call me down always with their bottom half of showdownable hands, and raise the top half, ie become predictable call stations; or, they decide to spew constantly against me when they can't show down (because they know I may have weak hands too) and play more passively with their better half cuz they want to _let me bluff_).

Against people who aren't observing [censored], I would say playing A and K hi passively as bluff catching is correct since mathematically and logically it makes the most sense to. However, against _better competition_, I think it's a noticeable liability and the best competition is going to exploit you and start playing their hands perfectly on the turn and river vs you.

I hope that makes sense, it's IMO one of the tougher topics in short handed LHE and even I struggle to explain it well since a lot of it is intuitive nature about what I've learned and discovered when playing against people and how they tend to react to various things.