View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: If my VPN connection goes down, what happens?

meh. They auto-reconnect.

Auto Reconnect.

AUTO RECONNECT

AUTO RECONECT

[ QUOTE ]
au·to·mat·ic [aw-tuh-mat-ik] –adjective

1. having the capability of starting, operating, moving, etc., independently: an automatic sprinkler system; an automatic car wash.

[/ QUOTE ]

meaning no *prompt* for login...it'll just AUTOMATICALLY login...meaning your account suddenly says "Hey!! I was just kidding earlier...I'm really in the US!" which is far more realistic than "Hey! Remember me? The player in country <x>? I'm playing a joke on you now and connecting from a banned country. Aren't I funny?"

Instalock of acct, very likely loss of most if not all funds, and a bunch of time fighting to *maybe* get a few pennies on the dollar of what you had in there.

*sigh*

That's how it is. You may chose to believe me or not. Have fun.

Edit:: should have been Re: BBill, not Re: Freakin.

Re-Edit:: This line led me to believe there may still be confusion:
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I see what you are saying but the vpn could not have been the default gateway for the PC because the pc needs the real gateway to get to the vpn concentrator.

[/ QUOTE ]

In OP you say [ QUOTE ]
route delete 0.0.0.0
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 88.80.y.yy

[/ QUOTE ]

which deletes your default route and adds a new default route.

Just to be certain an important basic of networking isn't overlooked here, 0.0.0.0 is your default route. The default route is your gateway. The gateway is the route added for 0.0.0.0. The default route is the route for 0.0.0.0.

So you change the gateway. Next, the VPN drops. Next, windoze decides to "fix" the problem of the gateway going down by trying the gateway of the LAN (which it needed to connect to the VPN in the first place, as you've stated earlier).

Wait...let me reword that.

So you change the default route. Next, the VPN drops. Next, windoze decides to "fix" the problem of the gateway going down by trying the gateway of the LAN (which it needed to connect to the VPN in the first place, as you've stated earlier).

Oh, wait...need to re-word that again:

So you change the route for 0.0.0.0. Next, the VPN drops. Next, windoze decides to "fix" the problem of the gateway going down by trying the gateway of the LAN (which it needed to connect to the VPN in the first place, as you've stated earlier).

Oh..never mind. They all say the same thing.