View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Finally, a useful conclusion drawn in the variance thread!

Tnixon , it looks like you've smartened up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Your long term variance in an SNG is a function of your win rate . Since your buy-in is always constant (hypothetical assumption) your variance or standard deviation is going to be constant . This means that two players who have the same win rate , will share the same variance . Also , variance in an SNG is expressed in terms of buy-ins .
+1 = one win
-1 = one loss

In a cash game , your variance need not be the same since the size of the pot and stacks may vary . One thing is certain which is that your $/h will be greater playing in a cash game . This leads us to believe that your variance should be lower . However it's also true that the deeper you're stacked , the higher your variance becomes . At some point , the game will become higher variance than an SNG .

I will repeat this again . A $100 sng is higher variance than a cash game with a $100 buy in and blinds at 4/3 ,2/3 . I've chosen those specific numbers to illustrate my point since your buy in is 75* the BB amount which is consistent with an sng starting with 1500 chips at 10-20 .